Many of the things that Australians will travel thousands of miles for have pretty passable substitutes in Australia. Traveller has compiled a list of Australian substitutes for the most famous overseas icons. These include:
- Port Stephens as a substitute of The Arabian Desert.
- Sydney's Opera House as an alternative to the Eiffel Tower.
- Port Arthur as a similar option to San Francisco's Alcatraz.
- Quarantine Station as a substitute of Ellis Island.
- The Gold Coast as an alternative to Florida's theme parks.