Tourism Research Australia (TRA) has conducted research to better understand the motivators and barriers of cycling tourism in Australia and its potential for growth in Victoria. Among the report's key findings:
- The cycle tourism market is relatively small in size but those involved often take multiple trips each year and are highly engaged.
- Cycle tourists engage in a broad range of activities, often travelling to regional areas.
- Respondent awareness and knowledge of cycle tourism is low.
- Victoria rates highly on a number of dimensions of the cycle tourism experience, including facilities and accommodation.
- Many respondents would consider travel of this kind in future, with Victoria the most commonly preferred destination.