This article extracts the key highlights from a destination branding roundtable involving the latest from experts in both hemispheres and on three continents. Among the key trends discussed include the importance of travelling like a local, the impact of reality and dramatic TV shows on destination choice and expectations and the predictions of big data with respect to the future of place/destination/tourism branding. Topics raised include:
- How do you defined destination branding?
- What is the biggest challenge in destination branding today?
- What is the biggest opportunity?
- Has the empowered consumer taken away the ability of destination brands to self-define, to position themselves in the marketplace?
- How can destinations shape brand experience when it must be delivered by a diverse community not under any central control?
- How can destinations best leverage the power of social and content marketing?
- What are the up and down sides of having movies, TV shows and other cultural forms depict your destination?
- Big Data - what do you see as its biggest promise, and problems, currently for destinations?
- What do you see as some of the most interesting recent innovations in destination branding and marketing?
- Based on your current experience, what do you anticipate being the most impactful emerging trend related to your destination or those you work with?
Click here to download the full transcript.