New leaders in a destination marketing organisation must prioritise collaboration, innovation and more essential skills that will create long-term success. This article focuses on the critical things a new leader at the DMO needs to understand and consider in order to avoid speed bumps and succeed in the industry.
- Don't underestimate the impact of external stakeholders.
- Review and understand existing strategies before adding your own ideas.
- Build consultation into almost everything you do.
- Dare to stop doing things.
- Create a culture of innovation.
- Think twice before going retail.
- Stay lean.
- Understand the business you're in.