Recent analysis fusing GfK consumer trend data with detailed travel booking insights from ForwardKeys paints a picture of six trends reshaping the Chinese outbound market. The explosive growth of the Free & Independent traveller has caused a paradigm shift in size, strategy and effectiveness for destinations and their respective travel ecosystems.
- Only 6% of the Chinese population holds a passport yet it's already the world's number one source market.
- Rapid urbanisation is changing core values and travel preferences, with Chinese consumers clearly routing back to authenticity and seeking relevant offers that combine traditional values with pleasure seeking.
- Destinations perceived to offer unique historical and cultural experiences are the biggest winners.
- Embrace the Chinese millennials era - the key segment driving the global travel segment.
- Double digit FIT growth, 2nd and 3rd tier cities are driving opportunities.
- Chinese FIT travellers are looking to book earlier and stay longer.