Skift has released its third annual State of Global Travel deck for 2016. The report helps frame the current global travel landscape through the lens of data, tables, charts and graphs. From developments and new steps in specific verticals to the wide-ranging and ever-shifting nature of travellers' choices and passions, the report represents significant measures of the industry during the past year and beyond. Some interesting take-outs of the report from an Australian perspective include:
- Australia rates at #7 according to the Global Travel and Tourism Competitive Index, behind Spain, France, Germany, USA, UK and Switzerland.
- Melbourne’s Richmond is a trending destination on Airbnb, experiencing 126% growth in 2015.
- Sydney ranks as the 20th most connected airport worldwide.
- Virgin Australia and Qantas Airways both rank within the top 20 airlines for on-time performance.
- Australia rates at #13 as a top global market for business travel spending.
- Australia ranks at #4 in terms of cruising demand, only behind the US, Germany and the UK.
- Australia rates at #7 with respect to the mobile share of bookings by country.