In this SlideShare presentation, Rodney Payne - the CEO at Destination Think! - highlights how shifts in the consumer landscape have created a new model for destination marketing and a new role for tourism brands. Specifically, Payne outlines how "the only path to profitable growth lies in your ability to get your customers to be your marketing department. The path to profitable growth lies in your ability to get your destination's visitors and local residents to do your job for you." Among the presentation's highlights:
- From broadcast to engagement - websites are typically visited by travellers in 9.5 sessions when researching a trip.
- Authenticity is everything - people generally don't trust advertising, even if they do see the ads. Thanks to social media, we can now visualise word of mouth.
- Mobile is key - consumers on average spend 25% of their waking time on their mobile. The number one influence on travel destination choices are friends and family.
- The typical purchase funnel is broken - instead of trying to compete with word of mouth with paid media, the opportunity is for destinations to refocus and embrace all the word of mouth.
- A destination's brand is the sum of all of the stories that someone hears about your destination combined with the experiences they have during a trip.