Tourism Research Australia has released the 2015 State of Industry report, which reviews the Australian tourism industry's performance in 2014-15 across a range of key performance indicators. Among the highlights include:
- International and domestic tourism continue to grow and set new records.
- With China and India leading growth, inbound visitor arrivals were up 7 per cent to a record 6.6 million in 2014-15.
- International tourism expenditure reached a new high of $33.4 billion following the growth of 10 per cent - the strongest recorded for a financial year since the Sydney Olympics.
- Domestic overnight trips reached 83.2 million while overnight expenditure increased 4 per cent to $55.4 billion.
- Total overnight expenditure increased 6 per cent to $88.8 billion which sees overnight expenditure tracking close to the Tourism 2020 target at this time.