It is now time for tourism marketing executives to shift tactical executions to focus more on building and creating content that is owned and to view social media as a means of distribution rather than an online marketing tactic in its own right. Strategies centred around creating a strong online presence for hotels are required.
- Content: At the centre of your owned media strategy is content - content should be informative, interesting and compelling.
- Variety: There should be a variety of content in your owned media strategy.
- Websites: Too much focus has been on factual and functional brand values rather than emotive brand benefits.
- Blogs: Blogs with personal stories that talk directly to your personas and their trigger points can result in your brand making it to the consideration set in a competitive market.
- Email lists: Implement a balanced combination of great stories, videos and imagery as well as genuine offers.
- Social media as a distributor to owned content: social media signals mean the search engines pick up on your authority and influence and you will be more likely to be connected with your customers in semantic search.