This article from roomsXML details the top five lessons for travel agents from 2015, touching on the economy, wholesalers vs. retailers and analytics. Among the trends:
- The Australian dollar is volatile, don't bank on it - only buy when you can fix your rates. Booking variable rates will only hurt your bottom line.
- Wholesalers that retail will hurt you - the short-term gain is your long-term pain. If they are growing, ultimately, you are not.
- Change is the norm - don't resist the obvious, find ways to grow.
- Data is the new currency - the power of analytics is making gut feel irrelevant. However, data does not replace wisdom.
- Hotels and airlines want you out of the loop - continue working with those that support you.