This Skift article highlights the global status of tourist visas in 2016. Among the key take-outs include:
- The percentage of the world's population requiring a visa to travel somewhere has decreased 14% from 1980 to 2015.
- Visas are required for about 60% of the world's population as of 2015. About 75% of European countries require a visa for entry, the highest percentage for any region.
- In terms of visas, the world is more open for tourism in 2016 than it was in 1980 - in 1980, 75% of the world's population needed a visa to travel internationally compared to 61% in 2015.
- Some 51% of all visa policies were reciprocal in 2015, where two countries have the same visa policies, compared to 71% in 2008.
- The UNWTO considers 48 source markets as highly mobile markets, meaning these countries' citizens have the highest freedom to travel.